There Really Is A Such Thing As Kale Pesto & Anyone Can Make It
I basically should open my own restaurant and call it 'House of Kale.' I'm already obsessed with that idea. Everything available on the menu would incorporate wholesome plant-based goodness. Pasta, soups, spreads, juices, and include my amazing discovery of kale pesto. The recipe for kale pesto is almost identical to what you would normally combine to create a standard pesto. The only substitute is kale in place of basil. But, actually, you could probably combine both kale and basil, and it would work really well too. A few months ago, I shared a recipe for avocado basil pesto. I'm not sure which one I like better. You guys could give both recipes a try and tell me which you like more. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
So with that said, be sure to keep reading to find out how you can make this fabulous (and super healthy) kale pesto. This dish works great for either a lunch or dinner meal. You can include cherry tomatoes or grilled chicken in there for added nutrition. Follow these steps below. I took the initiative to include some photos of the process from start to finish to help you as you go. Happy cooking!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Food processor
- A few handfuls of fresh kale (rinse and set aside)
- 5-6 garlic gloves (I love garlic so I added way more than what is typical)
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup of cashews (depending on how much kale you use)
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- pasta of your choice (here I prepared thin spaghetti)
1. Boil water for pasta
2. Insert all ingredients into food processor.
3. Mix for 2 minutes
4. Cook pasta
5. Add pesto sauce to pasta. Garnish with parmesan cheese and/or small basil leaves. Serve.